A big contingent of DROC members competed at the Victorian and Australian Championships. The Victorian Long Distance Champs were held at Linton, near Ballarat, on September 22. Our podium finishers were:
- First place: Joel Crothers, Damian Spencer, Sarah Davies, Ryan Davies
- Second place: Amber Louw, Janine Steer
- Third place: Wayne Love, Peter Hobbs
Then it was off to Wagga Wagga and Beechworth for the Oceania and Australian Championships week, starting on September 28. Simon Rouse had the standout performance of the week with no less than four podiums in the highly competitive M40. But he wasn’t the only one. Our winners and placegetters were:
- Oceania Sprint Distance – 3rd place Simon Rouse
- Australian Long Distance – 2nd place Peter Hobbs, 3rd place Simon Rouse
- Oceania Relays – 1st place Simon Rouse (M35 team)
- Oceania Long Distance – 3rd place Sarah Love
- Australian Middle Distance – 2nd place Simon Rouse
By all accounts it was a tough week – hot weather, and physically and technically challenging courses. Everyone who took part had their highs and lows, and will bring home plenty of stories. Congratulations to all who took part, and survived!
Check out the Photo Gallery for lots of pictures, and read a full report in the latest issue of Punchline.