So what’s a Summer Short? A new series of short distance, fast-paced, family friendly orienteering events, held on Sunday mornings in October and November. Think of them as long sprints (rather than short bush) – lots of controls, varied leg lengths, route choices, and many changes of direction. Winning times are approx 20-25 minutes; most people can expect to complete their course in 30-40 minutes. Find out more about Summer Shorts – click here
Results – Jells Park
Results – Lillydale Lakeside
Results – Tatterson Park
Results – Waverley Stadium
Race 1 at Jells Park successfully kicked off the new Summer Shorts series, with some classic Park orienteering to get things started. The verdict was unanimous – Summer Shorts are fantastic fun for everyone, and we want more!
Race 2 at Lillydale Lakeside stepped things up a notch, with some campus and other buildings featuring on Course 1 and 2. Unfortunately we were asked to relocate one control so courses had some last minute adjustments. It was fantastic to see so many kids and families coming along for their first go at orienteering, eager to get in some practice before the upcoming Primary Schools Championships.
Race 3 was at Tatterson Park in Keysborough, featuring the notorious Tree Maze! Courses required focus and concentration as competitors tried to untangle themselves from the compact and confusing woodland section, before looping through the larger park and surrounds, and finishing with a final burst of complexity. Fantastic to see so many people returning from previous weeks, and putting their new-found skills into practice!
Race 4 was the Grand Final at Waverley Stadium. Our attention switched from park to urban orienteering, using the highly complex, concentric network of small streets and open spaces that surround the iconic oval and grandstand. It was a great way to get your mind and body into top shape for the upcoming Schools and Sprint Championships, not to mention the Melbourne City Race.
Here’s what we offered:
- a great selection of full colour maps
- three action-packed, fun courses, with something for everyone from newcomers to top sprinters
- designed for fast thinking, with lots of controls, direction changes and route choices
- choose your own start time and course
- Sportident electronic timing, in Air mode (Sportident stick loan included in entry fee)
- low entry fees; enter online to go into our random prize draw!
- Kids Run Free at DROC! Anyone aged 16 or under can enter at no cost; 17-20 year olds pay half price
- Coaching and assistance for newcomers, and a family-friendly outdoor activity; no limits on age or ability, and no previous experience or special equipment needed
Look out for an expanded Summer Shorts program in October-November 2024!